Friday, February 16, 2007

St. Valentine


I have a few words about Valentine's day...even though it was 2 days ago. The origins of this ridiculous day go back to the Middle Ages....it was named after 2 Christian martyrs both named Valentine. WHERE in the hell did martyrdom suddenly mean buying Chocolates & Flowers??? I've searched it out and I cannot for the life of me find out WHY people do this. Don't get me wrong I'm not anti-flowers or anything but I feel like its kind of ridiculous the way commercialism takes over every meaningful event in history and turns it into some frippy marketing scheme. I love knowing that I'm appreciated and thought of, but it seems to me that I should know that every day and not just have an effort made on Valentine's day. Down with commercialism I say, down with the system, down with.....HEY! WTF, who ate my last piece of candy from my valentine heart!!!!!!!!????

4 comments:

Karenkool said...

At least you GOT some treats!!! I got NOTHIN! Ok, so the weekend is coming...

Anonymous said...

The guy who was being martyred wrote love letters to his beloved and signed them, pragmatically, "your Valentine." Then he died and the legend unfurled. The signed letters and tragedy remained. This is true.

Sarah said...

Ah, interesting. They didn't list that on Wikipedia.org ...however I should have known you'd have more info than wiki!

Anonymous said...

HAHAHA i don't know if i am flattered or not! I am queen of urban legends!