Wednesday, December 20, 2006
Little Green Satchel
Last night on the train riding home, a little boy (not more than 9 years old) boarded with an older woman, possibly his grandmother or caretaker. He was wearing a large black puffy ski jacket and was carrying a backpack and a little tiny green drawstring pouch. The woman was wearing a hat and was bundled up and they sat down in the seats on the opposite side of the aisle from me. They were talking and sometimes laughing and seemed to be having a good ol' time. I imagined they just came from seeing a show in the city, or taking a trip to see the Rockefeller Tree. I had my headphones on and so couldn't hear their conversation, but I could see them in the reflection of rhe window. I don't know when it hit me but somehow it didn't seem like an ordinary situation, so I turned down my headphones and tried to hear a little of what the boy was saying. He was so intent on playing with the little green bag, tapping his feet slowly against the edge of the seat. I heard the old woman ask gently how he's feeling, that its okay to talk, because talking is important. I couldn't hear his response but he had his head down as he fiddled with the bag and he looked strangely sad. Then out of his little bag he pulled this padlock. One of those 3-number combination ones that you twist. It seemed odd. Then the old woman said how she would like to decorate a Christmas tree, and asked how he would like to decorate a tree? The tone of her voice made me think perhaps something happened to his parents, maybe he had none. He kept looking over in my direction every so often and it broke my heart to see his little face. Why would he have a padlock, and why would he be carrying it in a little green pouch? Perhaps it was some sort of therapeutic symbol for him. Of course I'll never know what the real story was there. However I couldn't help but feel sad and touched by the little boy and his lock.
1 comment:
Awwwwww!!!
Post a Comment